Friday, November 2, 2012

And we're off!

Our flight to Chicago was scheduled to leave Dayton at 8:50am on 10/31. 

 The kids wore their new shirts that say, "I can't wait to meet my new little brother!" 

  
After some concerns with the safety of the plane (oxygen issues...not super comforting) which delayed takeoff, we were finally on our way.  




 We left Chicago at 12:50pm on 10/31 and arrived in Beijing at 3:20pm on 11/1. 


The kids won over the flight attendants, who snuck them into the back of the plane and made them ice cream sundaes complete with whipped cream & a cherry.  


Wow....that was a long flight....with 5 kids.....I thought I was going to lose my mind and seriously considered pulling the emergency exit door am really thankful we arrived safely in China.  



 I've never seen an airport as large as Beijing's.  We taxied so long, I thought that the plane was just going to drop us off at our hotel. ;)  


 We got our luggage, Lily had her first experience with a squatty potty (I'm making it my personal goal to avoid them during our entire trip, think I can do it?) and we met some other families in our travel group along with our two guides, Michael & George.  
We had to wait awhile for everyone and traffic was really bad, so we didn't get to our hotel until around 7:30pm.  
I think we figured that the whole trip was around 25 hours. 
 We fell into our very small & very hard  beds (they like their beds to be extremely firm here) with smiles on our faces and excitement in our hearts.

4 comments:

  1. That was an awesome post! :) I was happy to read what your last sentence said, because that is EXACTLY what I prayed for! That even though your day/s would be long, that you would fall asleep with joy and excitement! :) Praise the Lord for your safety, and that you are in the country of your little baby boy!!! Whoo-hoo! You are in the homestretch!!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily. We appreciate the prayers so much!! Love you, too. =)

      Delete
    2. Seriously my legs gets antsy just thinking about that length of a flight. You deserve that many hours of pampering at the spa when you return for enduring that! But if anyone can do this...it's YOU! Thank you for being such a Godly momma! Miss you already just knowing how far away you are! Or at least trying to understand how far away you are. It's hard to wrap my head around that!

      Delete
  2. You deserve a gold medal for traveling with 5 kids for 25 hours... It was good to see you smile in the pictures though... Isn't the Beijing airport something to behold? Beautiful and HUGE! I managed to avoid the interesting toilets the whole time but once... Ugh...I had to put my prim and properness aside for that brief moment...haha Just don't go in the fast food bathrooms...rough... and ask people where the American bathrooms are and then write down where they are so you can go back to them again. I know its crazy but some great tips for your bathroom needs. haha Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete